Many people are familiar with forms of medicine including acupuncture, herbal remedies and massage therapy. One of the lesser known Chinese treatment options is called cupping therapy. Cupping therapy involves suctioning the skin using cups. This techniques dates back thousands of years. It has been and continues to be used for a wide range of health maladies including vertigo, fever, menstrual imbalance and more. Here are 5 health benefits of Chinese cupping therapy in modern use.
- Sometimes cupping therapy is used in conjunction with acupuncture and other Chinese medicines or treatments. It has been known to be effective in relieving pains that individuals experience in the neck and the back specifically as well as throughout the rest of the body. Many people also use it to relax tense muscles, ease anxiety and tension, lesson migraines, and even to lessen the appearance of cellulite in the body.
- This cupping therapy is also effective at a deep tissue level. It is used to remove toxins that build up in the body over time. It is believed that cupping can impact deep tissues up to 4 inches beneath the surface of the skin. This helps to release toxins, open up blockages, and refresh veins and arteries, opening them up for enhanced circulatory benefits.
- The hands, wrists, ankles and knees can also be cupped in this style of therapy, helping to ease tension and pain. It is also believed to stimulate the organs associated with these areas for healing and recovery purposes. This can be beneficial to athlete as well as those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or other aches and pains.
- Cupping is often used for lung health as well in a variety of patients. It is effectively used to help with lung and respiratory problems including, but not limited to, asthma and symptoms of the common cold. The earliest Chinese records of cupping therapy techniques actually specify respiratory health as the main area therapy practitioners focused on in their treatments. Even back then cupping was known to be beneficial for the lungs and respiratory health.
- Finally, cupping can improve overall well-being by promoting relaxation throughout the body as a meditative, calming treatment. For this reason, anyone and everyone can benefit from cupping therapy. It is believed to calm the body and mind, release tense muscles, and promote enhances circulation for improved mental and bodily function. This is ideal for people suffering from anxiety or depression.
Cupping therapy is an alternative therapy option that many individual turn to in oder to compliment or even replace Western medications or treatments. Many Chinese therapies work well hand in hand, such as cupping and acupuncture. Be sure to explore your options to see what is right for you and the needs of your health and your body. Cupping therapy is available at centers such as XU Clinic where it is continuously used and investigated to determine benefits and usage. While these therapies are not for everyone, they are worth looking into further if the benefits and methods seem appealing to you.