Triglycerides are the main form of fat in the body and are the result of digestion and the breakdown of fats in foods.
Some triglycerides are formed in the body from other energy sources, such as carbohydrates. High levels of triglycerides have been linked to an increased chance of developing heart disease.
The following guidelines for triglyceride levels are established:
- Normal triglycerides – Less than 150 milligrams per deciliter.
- 150 – – 199 mg / dl. Triglycerides higher limit.
- High triglycerides – 200-499 mg / dl..
- Very high triglycerides – 500 mg / dL or more..
High levels of triglycerides can be at risk for heart disease, especially in people with low levels of good cholesterol and high levels of bad cholesterol, and in people with type 2 diabetes. In addition, high levels of triglycerides could multiply the harmful effects of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes.
Several studies suggest that high triglyceride levels are a risk factor more important for women than for men. In any case, a healthy exercise and proper diet can reduce triglyceride levels, improve cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
10 Tips to lower triglycerides
The main way to deal with high triglycerides is a healthy diet and exercise more. Here are some guidelines that can help reduce:
1- Maintain a healthy diet, incorporating a priority fruits and vegetables, because they can help you achieve your weight loss goals, and are full of nutrients that improve overall heart health.
2- Make moderate exercise five or more days a week can help maintain lower triglyceride levels.
3- lose weight, because the loss of 5% -10% thereof may lower triglycerides. Belly fat is associated with higher levels of these elements.
4- Reduce consumption of foods and beverages high in calories.
5- limits low quality carbohydrates, such as foods high in sugar or refined grains like white flour, because they can cause a sudden increase in the body’s insulin, which can lead to an increase in triglycerides.
6- Reduce consumption of fruit juices because they are rich in sugar, and chooses high-quality carbohydrates, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains such as oats and rice, among others.
7- The reduction of saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol in the diet can improve triglyceride levels, while helping to control cholesterol, include fewer carbohydrates in the diet also help lower triglyceride levels.
8- Cromprueba nutrition labels carefully on packaged items ?? to make sure they do not contain trans fats.
9. It is important to reduce alcohol consumption in people with high triglyceride levels, in some cases, will be essential to completely clear.
9. Eat more fish rich in Omega-3 can reduce levels of triglycerides, such as mackerel, trout, herring, sardines, tuna and salmon. They are really heart healthy and effective in reducing triglyceride levels.
10- High levels of triglycerides can be an indicator of other health problems, such as metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes and both are risk factors for heart disease. It will be important to keep adequate levels of LDL or bad cholesterol.
- Optimal cholesterol: less than 100 mg / dl..
- High cholesterol: 160-189 mg / dl..
- High cholesterol: 190 mg dl and higher ./..
We also need to maintain good levels of good cholesterol or HDL…