If we decide to follow a healthy and balanced diet, knowing how to interpret the food pyramid or food pyramid, we can help you get it.
When this food pyramid created?
Although born in 1992, the origins of the food pyramid date back to the 1920s, when U.S. health authorities became aware of the importance of good nutrition. In principle, a triangle divides foods, their size, from the base to the apex.
The first created a pyramid, instead of dividing the food groups horizontally, vertically and did color. The result was more complex when “read”. And the last, presented by the First Lady of the United States, is so simple that it is right to just say nothing.
It is important to know how to interpret the food pyramid so that we can take advantage of their advice.
But back to the beginning, to the original pyramid that ranks foods by their importance in the diet from the base to the apex. This scheme, easier to understand, the divided into 6 groups, which are, from bottom to top:
- Cereals (including rice), flour, biscuits and dairy products (pasta), whose consumption should be 2 to 3 servings daily.
- Fruits and vegetables (3 servings daily).
- Milk and dairy products (fat content not specified), which should be eaten daily.
- Poultry, fish, eggs and legumes: daily intake of quality protein is also advised.
- The fifth level is represented by red meat, pork and sausage, whose intake should be moderated.
- Are occasionally allowed goodies, sweets, prepared and packaged.
Eating healthy and balanced diet
So if we follow this food pyramid (regardless of how it is presented), in principle (and only in principle) have a balanced diet. But this is not so strictly. In fact, several organizations help with a kind of calculators that measure the amount of servings consumed. And all this without asking age, sex, work activity or present diseases. Therefore, the results can be wrong.
What is the problem, then, of these food pyramids?. Rather its universality, ie, the fact that they are not able to discern at least between lifestyle and body mass, and you do not need to eat the same as a twenty year old who works in a physical activity that an elderly only read or walk the dog.
Food pyramid Mediterranean diet
Therefore, from various media have tried to adapt these pyramids, at least to the lifestyles of each region or country. There are also specific for vegetarians. At the time, advice is given to modify the proportions according to the way of life. This is what is done with the food pyramid Mediterranean diet suggests that very briefly:
- Leisure activities of living and socializing at the same exercise.
- Consume fresh and seasonal products.
- Drink water and herbal teas.
- Fruits and vegetables, moderate olive oil, the base of the pyramid are distributed together with cereals and derivatives.
- Importance is attached to the aromatic herbs, garlic, onions and nuts, which are on the second level.
- At the third level are dairy, which must be low in fat.
- Weekly consumption (alternating) are white meat, fish, vegetables and eggs.
- Casual potatoes, red meat and packaged products.
- Testimonial on sweets.
Of course, different food pyramids should be a guide and should be adapted (if necessary with the help of a nutritionist) to the customs and needs of each. That does not mean that anything is permitted but take the scheme as a benchmark.