Lack of vitamin D causes bone problems, skin and immune system but what are the foods that contain more quantity?
It is known as antithetic because in the past, lack raged in the growing skeleton of children. It can be obtained in two ways:
- Through sunlight for synthesis of certain fats
- Through food.
While its deficiency is rare in developed countries of the Mediterranean or Caribbean area (sun exposure), young adults and other countries with less light radiation can acknowledge a deficiency with adverse effects involved.
WHO estimates that 5 mcg per day of vitamin D, which amount should be doubled in pregnant women, infants, babies and children under 8 are needed.
How is it produced?
It is very difficult to know how much of this nutrient is able to synthesize and store the body. To date not yet known exactly, even the period that the human body takes to expel the excess. There are some sources that establish the lunar interval of 28 days and other investigations have not so clear this data.
So if you live in an area with low solar radiation, you have to be sure that you eat (at least weekly) recommended by proper diet.
Foods rich in vitamin D
- The fish eels and elvers types with up to 100 mcg per 100 grams of edible portion.
- Cod-liver oil, 100mcg, two tablespoons daily.
- Oily fish such as herring, bonito, mackerel, mackerel, salmon or tuna, with amounts ranging from 20 mcg to 40 mcg per 100 grams.
- Egg yolk, with 6 mcg per 100 grams (approximately three eggs).
- Cured and cream cheeses which have up to 0.8 mcg per 100 grams of edible portion.
- It also has interesting quantities cocoa (2 mcg) and beef liver (0.5 mcg), not suitable for pregnant women, young children or infirm persons (any disease) by high concentrations of toxic products that present current cattle.
- The milk and all its derivatives contain traces that vary according to the method of production, processing and storage.
- Shiitake mushrooms contain fungus and Ergosterol. It is a nutrient that gives us when the sun is converted into vitamin D.
Benefits and properties of vitamin D
Is an essential micronutrient for the organism, because it handles bind calcium (both dairy such as from other foods) in growing bone and adult individuals.
It interacts with the thyroid and is necessary for the proper development of the immune system. Recent research is considered essential for proper brain function at any age.
Lack of vitamin D: effects and diseases that produce
Traditionally diseases associated with lack of vitamin D were linked to people with malnutrition in cold areas. Today, with the rise of sectarian and unbalanced diets, are developing diseases that accuse this micronutrient deficiency.
Note that if you live in a place where it is always sunny and not taking sufficient amounts of fish or milk necessarily going to need a supplement.
What disease causes a defect in vitamin D known to the traditional need to add others?:
- Rickets in children younger than 7 years, with consequent slowing of physical development.
- Recent studies even linking a shortage of vitamin D with certain forms of mild retardation in children and memory loss in adults.
- Bone diseases such as osteomalacia, hypocalcemia and osteoporosis.
- It seems to be a determining factor in the development of the most common cancers: colon, ovarian, breast and prostate.
- There is a relationship between a defect of vitamin D and depressive processes, psychic pain, mental weakness, melancholy and even with serious diseases such as schizophrenia.
- A good contribution helps keep the tone cardiovascular and immune system by preventing heart disease, sclerosis or diabetes.
- Skin problems like eczema, more pronounced in children born in warmer zones migrating north.
Did you know …?
- Until well into the twentieth century the poor cold spots on the planet had a chronic deficiency of this vitamin. When discovered, tried some food industries will supplement their products with this micronutrient.
- In the Nordic countries, Russia or Germany pearls cod liver are part of the daily diet.
- Sunscreens prevent short, so you have to be cautious with continued daily use of these blockers in southern areas, especially with children. That does not mean they do not enjoy the sun sensibly protecting our children when needed.