Anabolic are substances used by some athletes to increase performance but it is vital to know its side effects.
What are anabolic steroids?
Anabolic Steroids Anabolic-Androgenic (AAS) are synthetic substances that are derived from the male sex hormone testosterone.
They are widely used in sports requiring large muscle masses have as weightlifting or bodybuilding, or to increase the ability to move as jumping, running or team sports.
Anabolic effects in our bodies
- Increased muscle mass due to increased protein synthesis.
- Speed recovery in muscle injuries.
- Increased glycogen content in muscle.
- Act on the central nervous system by increasing aggression, and exerts a euphoric action.
- Athletes use anabolic steroids for muscle hypertrophy greater than can be achieved only through the work of specific strength training and get a greater amount of muscular work per unit time.
- A pharmacological level are used for conditions for testosterone deficiency, such as delayed puberty, some sexual impotence, in cases of severe anemia, patients with AIDS or other diseases that cause muscle loss.
But also have consequences …
Abuse or improper dosage of anabolic carries substantial health risks:
- Severe cases of acne.
- Premature hair loss.
- Gynecomastia, or breast growth in men.
- Increase levels of LDL (harmful) and lower HDL (good).
- Disorders of the heart.
- Toxicity, jaundice and liver tumors.
- Infertility, testicular atrophy and prostatic hypertrophy.
- Aggression and psychosis.
- Masculinization in women and menstrual problems.
Although anabolic steroids are drugs and psychotropic substances consumed, in many cases, no control measures in many sports or recreational, aesthetic or competitive purposes. So anabolics are considered by many psychiatrists as a drug. Consequently its exclusively prescription use is recommended.
Food for athletes
Some nutritional supplements may be positive for athletes when they are aimed at long workouts, accelerate the recovery process, body mass correction, guiding the development of muscle mass, among others.
Extra nutrients and supplements
- Carbohydrates: are useful when the recommended amount of carbohydrates is very high and therefore difficult to consume through diet.
- Proteins: are the most widely used dietary supplement. Although some studies show that it improves endurance, others confirm that it can increase muscle mass if consumed by strength athletes or endurance exercises.
- Creatine increases the total weight, the force of contraction, speed, anaerobic power, improves recovery times. Adverse effects: impairment of renal function, dehydration, cramps, fiber rupture, nausea, dizziness, weakness, diarrhea.
- L-Carnitine: the effects would be saving muscle glycogen, facilitate the production of energy and ward off fatigue symptoms, although some of the current studies do not support it.
- L-Tryptophan: the quality is attributed to stimulate growth hormone. In sport produces analgesia and reduces discomfort from prolonged effort.
- Caffeine: increased fatty acid utilization during prolonged exercise (> 30 min) but ineffective to increase high intensity activities lasting less than 10 min. High number of side effects.
- Sodium Bicarbonate has shown some improvement in the times of low-intensity exercise lasting between 5 and 7 minutes, but not in the sprints.
- Potassium aspartate and magnesium: Studies say that 15-20% improvement in endurance. Reduces the likelihood of injury and muscle cramps.
- Macrodosis vitamins and minerals must take into account the risk of hypervitaminosis with fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) which can have adverse effects and clinical disorders.
- Antioxidants may help, according to some authors, to purify the free radicals produced during exercise.
Medicinal herbs and other natural supplements
Within the natural alternatives to anabolic have some medicinal plants and nutritional supplements to increase performance:
- Ginseng: increases physical performance. A turn is a great adaptogen, is why we help withstand temperature changes, social life, etc..
- Guarana has excellent properties to be alert, and that has 4 times more caffeine than coffee.
- Pollen: food rich in toning and energizing nutrients. Especially for states of nervousness, stress, or physical weakness.
- Brewer’s yeast: contains essential amino acids, so that their proteins have a high biological value.
- Soy Lecithin: helps mobilize fat deposits in the body, facilitates blood circulation and absorption of vitamins B and A.