It is one of the star products in our culinary preparations. Know all the properties and benefits of tomato.
We discover the different properties and benefits of tomato.
Currently, tomato is one of the star products in our kitchen. We usually incorporate it in our meals daily and at all times of the year and when it is a season, we usually prepare all kinds of salads with it. But, in addition to being a tasty and very versatile food, it is very nutritious and contains many properties and benefits for our body.
There are different ways to consume it, such as boiled, in sauce, in salads, in juices, etc. And, furthermore, we can find great variety and types that offer us an infinite number of different preparations. In addition, more and more people dare to plant their own tomato plants at home.
All these different varieties of tomatoes have numerous benefits for our health. In this article, we will analyze each one of them and explain the different properties that tomato offers us in our diet.
Consuming tomato on a regular basis contributes to having a more nutritious diet and benefiting from all its properties. Its high lycopene content makes it an important product in reducing the risk of suffering from different types of cancer.
Its great antioxidant power helps to reduce the effect of free radicals, which are found in the air, in our body. This causes the degeneration of cells and DNA damage in our bodies to be avoided.
In addition, a cardioprotective effect is also associated with tomato consumption, which produces benefits for the health of our hearts. This is so not only for the antioxidants it has but also for its phytosterols, which are capable of reducing blood cholesterol.
Also, its high content of fiber, water, and potassium helps our body to reduce and control blood pressure levels.
Below we explain the different properties and benefits that consumption and incorporation of our tomato into our body brings:
1. Low fat
Tomato is one of the lowest-calorie foods. A medium-sized piece carries about 40 calories. In addition, its high water content, more specifically 95%, makes this fruit consumed as a vegetable one of the most recommended products in weight control and weight loss diets.
2. Diuretic and depurative
Another of the properties of this vegetable is that it contains a high amount of minerals. Among them, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, iron, calcium, copper and zinc stand out. Thus, tomato is considered to have a high diuretic power and, therefore, is beneficial in eliminating excess fluids and toxins. This can help all those who suffer from fluid retention, hyperuricemia, hypertension, and gout.
3. It prevents different types of diseases
Tomato is rich in vitamin C. To get an idea, a piece can provide us with about 40% of the recommended daily intake of this type of powerful antioxidant. It also highlights its high content of vitamin A, which is very important for the eyes, and vitamin E.
All of these acts in a very beneficial way for our immune system and protect our body from different attacks thanks to the reduction of the harmful effect of free radicals.
4. Strengthens our body’s defenses
Another of the properties that tomato has is its carotenoid content. These provide different benefits to the immune system of our body. They are also a powerful antioxidant, which reduces cell damage thanks to neutralizing free radicals that cause oxidative processes.
5. Regulates intestinal function
Due to its high fiber content, the tomato has laxative properties and improves and prevents constipation. It also helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and have better glycemic control in people with diabetes.
When we consume this vegetable, it gives us a feeling of satiety. This favors all those people who are dieting. For all these reasons, tomato is considered to help reduce the risk of gastrointestinal diseases.
6. Improves blood circulation
One of the minerals it has is iron, which is very important for the health and good condition of our blood. In addition, it also provides vitamin K elev8ed, which helps us control and improve clotting. Thus, this vegetable helps us prevent cardiovascular diseases.
7. Take care of the skin
As we have previously commented, the tomato has great antioxidant properties. In this way, it is an effective natural remedy against aging, making it a great ally for our skin, hair, and teeth.
- Tomato properties
- Tomato has laxative, purifying and antioxidant properties.
- Nutritional values and calories of tomato
Although we usually consider it as a vegetable or vegetable, the tomato is actually a fruit. Its composition is mostly water, this being 95%. The remaining 5% is made up of carbohydrates and fiber.
If we consider a small raw tomato, of about 100 grams, it has only 18 calories. As we mentioned previously, water is found in 95%. Although in a negligible way, it also has protein, about 0.9 grams.
You may like to read-https://bumbleblog.co.uk/